where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
    The math is pretty simple: of the clearance is too big, increase the size of the shim. A member here will share his spreadsheet that calculates it for you.
    That member is Steve - name and username; send him an email and he'll send the spreadsheet to you.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

ok so im about to go measure up my clearneces and just wanted to double check on something here as it is a bit different than my yamahas that i'm used to... so to check the exhaust measurements you want to lobe going parallel and the intake you want ti perpendicular..?
      1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by SilentRaven View Post
        ok so im about to go measure up my clearneces and just wanted to double check on something here as it is a bit different than my yamahas that i'm used to... so to check the exhaust measurements you want to lobe going parallel and the intake you want ti perpendicular..?
        Scroll back to post #3 in this thread and visit BassCliff's excellent website. You will find a wealth of info there, as well as factory service manuals that will tell you most of what you need to do. You can download one for your bike.

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Mission success! i got my measurements and was able to remove my shims using the ziptie method! here is what i got...

Exhaust first then intake
          (wasnt sure what was metric and what was inches so i wrote both)
          .0015 .0015
          .030 .030

.0023 .003
          .063 .076

Shims
          250x 250
          260x 265
          1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

ok so i found a chart online and it looks like i need to replace exhaust 1 and 2 with 275's and replace intake 1 and 2 with a 310 and a 330?

does this sounds correct? i looked in the owners manual from basscliffs page but didnt see a chart in there... i also messaged steve but have not heard back from him yet.
            so i geuss the next step is to get some shims from the shim pool
            1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by SilentRaven View Post
              ok so i found a chart online and it looks like i need to replace exhaust 1 and 2 with 275's and replace intake 1 and 2 with a 310 and a 330?

does this sounds correct? i looked in the owners manual from basscliffs page but didnt see a chart in there... i also messaged steve but have not heard back from him yet.
              so i geuss the next step is to get some shims from the shim pool
              Official clearance is .03 to .08 mm. That is .0012 to .0031". So your intake shims are fine and the exhausts are also in spec, but only barely. The shim increment of .05mm is equivalent to .002" so the next smaller shim would put the exhausts at .0035 - which is slightly over spec but given that it will tighten up over time, I'd go with it. You could also run it for a while as is if you haven't time to deal with it immediately.

Get two 2.45 shims for the exhaust and install them soon. Then you'll be good for a long time.

I have a 450T pretty much the same except an '82; great bikes.
              '82 GS450T

Comment

Thanks for the advice, now that you say it yah I woul want to go smaller not bigger with the exhaust shims since they were tight! (duh) I'm so glad the engine so far seems to be in order my last bike was a nightmare comparatively!
                1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

Sorry, just seeing this now. Let me know if you still need shims and what you need, as I am only a few towns away from you and I have a stash of shims. As an alternative, Bettencourts will most likely have what you need. I have purchased some shims from them at very reasonable prices.

Comment

Working...
                  X