Piece together front end for dual disc upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piece together front end for dual disc upgrade

I have a 1982 GS300L with factory drum front and rear brakes. I would like to upgrade the front end with some spare parts (wheels brakes) leftover from my 1981 GS750E. Wazz hooked me up with a triple that holds the 35mm tubes which I acquired from JGroves. So far so good, the plan is to use 1981 GS750E wheel/brake in 1980 GS750E forks clamped into 1977 or 1978 GS750 triple.

I had checked most of the measurements and hopes were high until I measured the center to center on the fork tubes of the "new" triple. They are about (rough measurement) 1 centimeter closer together than the triple that the "new" wheel/dual disc combo is coming from.

Could the difference in the axle could be made up with shorter spacers ??

Could I machine off 2.5mm here and 2.5mm there on the fork tubes and calipers mounting area to set the calipers outboard enough to line up?

Sorry it is too dark to get pics tonite.

Any thoughts ?

Mike

Here is how much material is on the fork legs and caliper.

And here is the caliper mounted on the original forks to show the thickness of the mounts.

I think that I would have to remove a total of 10mm from the four surfaces.

Anyone have a thought that it would that weaken the structure too much to be reasonable to do ?

Mike

Comment

that would be getting the disc awfully close to the legs, fender mounting issues, tire clearance issues, and you would have to have a milling machine to get them perfectly square.

might be better off finding the later model tripples.

I know where there is a complete front end from a GS450S. mmmm purdy gold wheel!

Comment

Yes I suppose I was just hoping so hard that I could make that work. I would have had to find a machine shop to do the work.

Does anyone know if all the L models forks are set forward (the forks in relation to the stem) and or closer together than the E models or did I just get unlucky with this one?

Comment

Working...
        X