bad igniter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad igniter

I have an igniter box with a burned out 'something.' It's so far gone I can't tell what it was.

This is on an '83 GS850GL. My Clymer wiring diagram may not be correct, or the unit isn't correct for the bike. According to Clymer the signal generator (Pickup coil) has two wires going to the igniter: Blue and Dk Green. Mine has 4, which according to the wiring diagram should be on an '83 GS1100. So...maybe I can assume the ignition system was converted as some point, or the diagrams are incorrect for this particular 850.

Anyway. The box has a nasty burn in the lid and under that is a transistor/diode/something that is burned beyond recognition. I'm thinking if I knew what it was I could solder a new one in it's place...but is there any chance anyone out there knows what I'm trying to replace. To replace the entire unit is way too expensive to go there first.

If it helps; the black box is 4" by 5 1/2" by 1" high. It has a Suzuki number on it: 32900-49410 and what appears to be a serial number. It's made by Nippondenso.

When you take the top off, laying it out with the wires to your right, the bad doohicky is at the extreme lower right corner. Somewhat by themselves are two little things lined up parallel to each other. The upper of the two is gone and the lower has suffered from heat exposure to the first.

I have pictures, but have not figured out how to post them here yet. I'll email them to anyone interested.

LArry

update

Posting a reply to my own question. It's like talking to your self.

I removed the burned 'thing' an the transistor next to it then looked at both under a microscope. The simi-burned transistor is color coded red - black - black - gold. The burned thing appears to be exactly the same size but is burned clean through...nothing left but the end wires.

Anyone got a clue?

Thanks

Larry

Comment

well the semi burned thing is a resistor with a value of 20 Ohms. The other thing is most likely a resistor but with out knowing what the color code is you can't tell what size it should be.

Do you have any pictures

sorry i didn't read your whole first post. Can you email me the pictures at n1elkyfan@gmail.com

Comment

Do a search, there was a guy posting here within the last week that is considering offering a ignitor repair service.

Regarding the wires/harness, most likely the manual you have is wrong. If the 1100 version matches, go with it.

Suzuki changed the ignition system from the early version with mechanical advance to a version with the advance curve built into the ignitor box. I don't know what year they started with the later type, but you have it. You can replace your entire ignition system with a Dyna S ($120), but you need to find a mechanical advance unit off an early bike.

Something to consider.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

pictures

I'm talking to myself again...

this should be a link to pictures. I'm new at this GSR stuff.

The 5th image is the most telling.

Comment

Look like it would definitly be repairable just need to see if some one could post a picture of theres so that we can figure out what resistors you need.

Comment

i sent a pm to you on the problem. i will try and get the value for you, but other issues are there i believe. one of the two scrs may be bad and burned the resistor up. i'd have to have box to know.

Comment

Working...
              X