Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 Gs1100 "Street Rod" build.

Howdy GSR
    After a long delayed engine/bike build I finally got most of the parts together for my new summer street bike,after having a Friend wreck the bike and having to put a new 83 frame on it,2 months after that me dumping it at 80+ after going over a fresh steel work grate in the road under Heavy throttle with possible oil on the rear tire from a leaky 1168 engine that the PO built(Thank God for leathers).
    After all this happening I almost went to the Suzuki dealer and buying a new Gsxr 1000 or Busa like most my Friends(Would have been less cash for sure),but I'm no sell out to the old school GS after having over 10 of them and my first street bike when I was 14, the Built 78 Skunk Gs1000 I picked up for $400,that would blast freinds Brand New 99 zx11 at the time.
    Special thanks goes out to Ray Rains(RapidRay) who built the engine and Few other people who helped me work with Ray on the engine build,along with giving me ideas on what to do with the bike.Thanks again to GSR which pretty much helped me plan EVERY detail of the build.Lets hope all goes well.

Goodies List:
    1983 GS 1100 Block
    1229cc CP pistons
    1150 Cylinder
    Pearson's Crank w Straight cut gear/750 basket
    Ported 1150 Head
    G4 cams deg to 106/108 for the street
    36mm or 38mm Sudco Carbs?Have both
    Hp top end oiler kit
    MTC lockup clutch with easy access cover.
    Dyna 2000 ignition,Green coils for now.
    GSXR 1000 custom steering stabilizer.
    Corbin seat(Had 5 miles on it Until 2ND accident)
    USD 95 Gsxr 1100 front end
    95 Gsxr 1100 rear wheel
    PMFR 5/8 17tooth Offset front sprocket
    DG outer bearing support
    Cal Fab swing arm with Air Tank
    Marzocchi Shock shocks

Here are a few pictures of the bike before I put it all together should be a VERY short bike build will be posting new Pictures as build goes on...Any Input or ideas would be Great.Thanks
    Start.

Street Rod Tags?..Who else has this but Maryland?

Air tank/Swingarm

KAtmans Idea.

Paint

Mock up

Engine is Now in and will be broken in by the end of the week i hope,along with Raask rear sets TBC.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2010, 10:31 PM.

Wow ; looks like a bad ass mutha!!!! Did you hit the lottery? Lottsa nice parts there.

Comment

Daaaaamn. What a build. With all that grunt you'll never need to buy a front tire ever again since it'll never be on the ground.

Comment

Looking good RICK!! Call me when you are ready to fire the first time. Call me BEFORE you fire it! LOL! Are you thinking tomorrow night or sometime Friday? Ray.

Comment

Lookin' good, collecting parts to do something similar.

I think that is a Vance & Hines arm...

Comment

I like the chrome valve cover!
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

VERY nice. What is that starter cover?

Comment

Fire in the hole

Starter cover is just a old chrome one I found,the stator cover is off a gs1150.

Almost there got the Dyna 2000 wired up and exhaust on the bike what a breez setting up the ignition timing,hope to fire up and break cams in by Sunday,Will keep posted.

Comment

Nice work. You are going to have a very sharp ride.

Comment

This is turning into a longer of a build than I had thought,My ignition went bad on me ,FINALLY got a working dyna 2000 box from a reliable ebay source and got the bike broke in today,WOW this things gona Fly Timing is at 30Deg and the engine almost sounds like a helicopter..Still need a few odd and ends,fitting rear 5.5/180 tire into Cal Fab swingarm,getting the wheels straight with each other,need custom made wheel spacers anyone know a good source that could have it done in decent time,its getting warm here?
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2010, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Rick, call me when you see this. Ray.

Comment

looks extremely clean, cant wait to see the end product!

Comment

That's going to be sweet!!

Not to get off topic, but did you make that engine stand adapter? Looks like it was made from a frame? I'd love some details.
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                            That's going to be sweet!!

Not to get off topic, but did you make that engine stand adapter? Looks like it was made from a frame? I'd love some details.
                            Hello and thanks for the post about my bike,yes I did make the stand from a 1982 gs1100E frame my Friend wrecked and the bike went end over end a few times so the rear of the frame was to caddywampus to be used again.I tried this idea http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=138431&highlight=motor+stand
                            Fiddled with it for days,bought 2 kinds of all thread with spacers and still engine would bend over once let lose on the stand,I kinda gave up then looked over at the frame in the trash pile and a light bulb went off,I fired up the chop saw and hacked the frame then called my welder Friend and he helped weld it up,after done he climbed on top of the stand and bounced around,I think he weighs 300+lbs so I trusted his welds to hold the engine.I used pieces of the frame for supports in the back.Here is another picture hope this helps.

Comment

Awesome ingenuity Rick!! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X