Steering dampers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering dampers?

I picked up a NOS steering damper bracket off of ebay a few weeks ago for my 78 GS750E and I have been looking around for dampers that would possibly fit. Does anybody have any experience with these thing? Are they worth it? Had a guy tell me one time it made a huge difference at higher speeds.
    16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
    13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
    78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
    Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
    02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
    12 Aprilia Shiver 750
    82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Damper

How slow do you want the old girl to steer? Most old bikes dont need them unless somthing is seriousally wrong. Never had a head shake on my 1000 even with the front wheel touching down at 180kph slightly crossed up.

Comment

damper

Well, to be honest, I have not witnessed any shaking in the front end either. I cruise around 60 MPH (~100KPH) and I get her up to 90 MPH (~150KPH) once in a while. I prefer going straight on the 90 MPH spurts as well

I was under the impression that it helped with steering at higher speeds. Shows you what I know about these things. So, all in all, all they do is reduce front-end shaking at high speeds? if that is the case, I'm not even going to pursue it further because I don't have any shaking.

History book:
      12 Aprilia Shiver 750
      82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Steering dampers should only be used on bikes that have very agressive steering head angles and/or very little trail. Your bike has ample amounts of both unless you've changed you frame/suspension radically.

All a steering damper does is make it tougher to steer quickly. It's job is primarily to prevent tankslappers like this>> http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...apper_paul.wmv

I seriously doubt that the steering geometry of your bike merits the use of a steering damper and all it would end up doing is making you a)have a hard time turning in parking lots and b) you'd probably understeer in panic/highspeed turns because it would require more force to turn the bars.

You still have to land your wheelies straight even with a steering damper

Comment

I have a steering damper on my S model.
          It is adjustable, so at low speeds I can loosen it up.
          At higher speeds, highway I run it tight.
          No problems. Does it work? Yes The 80GS1000S will head shake over 100mph.
          I've tried the damper on numerous settings, and 15 years of riding this bike, I can feel a difference.
          Do you really need one? Depends on your riding habits.
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

damper

Mookie & Keith,

Thanks for the advice. I really don't think I need this damper on my bike. The most I hit is about 90 mph simply because any more makes my neck feel like it will snap off. I only go that fast on straight-aways anyway. the bike preforms well right now with the stock setup so if it ain't broke, don't fix it right?

Thanks again for all the advice!
            -Jon

History book:
            12 Aprilia Shiver 750
            82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

All of these old 58+ inch wheelbase GS Suzuki's were set up pretty conserative as far as rake/trail go and do not need a damper. Any front end shimmy on these bikes is usually the result of worn or loose steering head bearings or worn tires. Look at the "cutting edge" Katana's of the early 80's, and by todays numbers (wheelbase and rake/trail) these bikes are very conserative. Most modern sportbikes now are set up so radical-55 in wheelbases are norm-that dampers are required to keep the front end in check. They do slow steering in low speed turns but make up for this when the front wheel is light under acceleration. I have never felt the need for one on my highly modified 83' GS750ED but I would not ride my 55 inch wheelbase 2001 TL1000S without one.

Comment

I would leave it off. I used to run my old GS at 130 MPH without one and it was very smooth (stock rake). I had an old Triumph that had a knob you would turn to tighten down the stearing head. Now that was a dampening system!

Originally posted by Mookie
                Steering dampers should only be used on bikes that have very agressive steering head angles and/or very little trail. Your bike has ample amounts of both unless you've changed you frame/suspension radically.
                A drag bike with a modified rake and stops will require one depending on the speed it runs. These bikes will do anything but turn.

"2.4.5 STEERING DAMPER
                Mandatory on all bikes 9.99 or quicker or 120 mph or faster, and
                may not act as fork stops."

Comment

When I went from full throtle to brake I had a tankslapper whit my Gsx1100e whit 92 1100R front zx6r rear wheel.
                  Mayby there is something else wrong in my bike??

Comment

You mean besides putting Kawasaki parts on it? You've got a Kawazuki.
                    Besides, the Kaw wheels and forks are set up for different frame characteristics.

Harrison

Comment

That kaw wheel is fine on your bike as long as it is in the right place. I had a 68 inch 1150, with a raked neck and a damper(adjustable), the bike rode and turned just fine. The dampers are for high speed handling and safety at the track. they are usually required to race once you start going fast.
                      EULC ON

Comment

And that just emphasizes my point. A stretched frame and a raked neck change the frame characteristics. If gsx1100e is running a stock frame with the different forks and wheels, then the handling of the frame can change. Sometimes it's not for the better.

Harrison

Comment

From what I have heard It is agravated if you have a 16" front wheel

Comment

I'm putting a damper on my wifes GS700E. Not because it needs it, but because when I had a flat on the front at 70 mph, I really wised I had one. Better safe than sorry. Even if you have it set on the mild side, any damping in that situation would've been nice.

Comment

Originally posted by KGB View Post
                              I have a steering damper on my S model.
                              It is adjustable, so at low speeds I can loosen it up.
                              At higher speeds, highway I run it tight.
                              No problems. Does it work? Yes The 80GS1000S will head shake over 100mph.
                              I've tried the damper on numerous settings, and 15 years of riding this bike, I can feel a difference.
                              Do you really need one? Depends on your riding habits.
                              Mine, too...
                              Don't have a damper, bit I want one.

Comment

Working...
                              X