Project: 1985 GS550ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
    If it won't run with the sync tool hooked up, you must have something wrong. Are you trying to sync them all together or one at a time?
    ALL SAME TIME (ONLY HAS TWO) I THINK THE PETCOCK MAY BE BAD, BUT NOT REALLY SURE HOW TO CHECK IT.

Comment

So far the carbs look very clean except for rust (or a rust-like sediment) in the bowls.
      That rust crud is usually varnished gasoline. The same rust crud clogs the small jets and passages in the carbs, which is why people 'dip' them to soften the crud.

I had a 550 that sat in a barn for a few years. I cleaned the carbs out diligently, but it never ran right. I later found, only after seperating each carb body (what a pain in the arse) that the fuel feed line passages between the carb bodies was clogged with varnished gas. This restricted the fuel flow to the carbs significantly.

FWIW, I never dipped any of my carbs to clean them. I always used the spray carb cleaner (buy a good brand like Gumout!) and took each piece out and hosed it and the passage it went in. Use a small brush on other parts.

ALL SAME TIME (ONLY HAS TWO) I THINK THE PETCOCK MAY BE BAD, BUT NOT REALLY SURE HOW TO CHECK IT.
      Make sure you plug the vacuum lines to the petcock and carbs if you are trying to sync the carbs. It will run funny and not balance if you do not plug the lines. Use a 'remote fuel tank' to provide gas to the engine. Set up a table next to your bike, buy a longer fuel hose, and run it to the carbs. Now you can run without the tank on the bike.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twice around the block and NO issues!!!!!
      Congrats, great feeling isn't it? I offer only this advise...since you're going to be back on the road: buy some new tires. If you really trust the tires are okay on it, great, but having it sit for years (rubber ages) they can develop cracks on the sidewalls or flatspots.

Consider taking the MSF rider safety course too as a refresher for your riding skills, too.

Enjoy!

~Adam

Comment

Congratulations on a job well done and well documented
        :-) Gizmo

Comment

Originally posted by AOD View Post
          That rust crud is usually varnished gasoline. The same rust crud clogs the small jets and passages in the carbs, which is why people 'dip' them to soften the crud.

I had a 550 that sat in a barn for a few years. I cleaned the carbs out diligently, but it never ran right. I later found, only after seperating each carb body (what a pain in the arse) that the fuel feed line passages between the carb bodies was clogged with varnished gas. This restricted the fuel flow to the carbs significantly.

FWIW, I never dipped any of my carbs to clean them. I always used the spray carb cleaner (buy a good brand like Gumout!) and took each piece out and hosed it and the passage it went in. Use a small brush on other parts.

~Adam
          Well, the varnish seems to be gone from these carbs. I was gonna do the dip, but at the last minute I decided to stick with Gumout carb cleaner (spray). That's what I used in 1987 to get the carbs on my first bike cleaned up and it seems to have been all that I needed here, plus I finished the job with compressed air.

Comment

Originally posted by AOD View Post
            Congrats, great feeling isn't it? I offer only this advise...since you're going to be back on the road: buy some new tires. If you really trust the tires are okay on it, great, but having it sit for years (rubber ages) they can develop cracks on the sidewalls or flatspots.

Consider taking the MSF rider safety course too as a refresher for your riding skills, too.

Enjoy!

~Adam
            YES IT IS a great feeling!

The tires are number one on the list before I take this for anything more than a ride around the block. Their in great shape, visally, but after several years of sitting, I just will not trust that their not something of a hazard. IMHO, the tires are the most important safety feature of any motorcycle and I refuse to skimp or take chances in any way.

I actually to the BRCII as a refresher last year right before my uncle gave me this bike. My plan at the time was to buy new but then this gift came along! This year I'm hoping to take an advanced course if I can find an open spot.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comment

Originally posted by 550ERAT View Post
              Bump!! Did Anyone Read My Post Above?
              FYI: I did. Unfortunately, I've never done a proper vacuum sync...but it's on the list! Best of luck with yours!

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Kenny View Post
                Congratulations on a job well done and well documented
                :-) Gizmo
                Thanks very much. Hopefully the documentation will be of use to some other GS-ers.

Comment

Roll Credits

I wanted to say "Thanks!" to all those who have contributed to the success of "Phase One" (getting the bike ride-able) of this project. Everyone who has dropped by, offered encouragement, advice, tips, suggestions, opinion and shared the benefits of their experience and expertise deserves a round of applause and should know their input has been very much appreciated. In particular, here are the names of a few that have been particularly helpful and managed to offer something that truly made my experience better by making the job easier, making me more informed, making the job faster/enabling me to do it once, etc. So Special Thanks to:

JTsGS650 (first reply post other than me, let me know I had a backup!)
                  lord1234 (spark plug and carb advice)
                  Steve (Saved me mis-reading my torque wrench and major Torque issues. This was huge as I almost certainly would've done some damage!)
                  LeeGS550E (confirmed that I did NOT want to remove the throttle plates)
                  Nerobro (Excellent carb removal "tricks" and overall knowledge of 550's. I'd still pay to see him remove, clean and replace his carbs in 10 minutes!
                  skreemer (identified UIW (Un-Identified Wire) oil sensor wire and planted the idea of upgrading to a GSXR shock)
                  foghog (helped identify UIH's (hoses) from fuel tank)
                  Thomas Kenny (letting me know he had extra carb parts...just in case)

Thanks very much!

PS: Stay tuned. I'll be sure to keep this thread rolling as I get into Phase Two (get the bike Safe & RELIABLE) of this project. I work slow, but I alwyas finish the race!
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2007, 07:17 PM.

Comment

As a suggestion for tires take a look at Bridgestone BT-45's and Pirelli Sport Demons.

The BT-45s are touring tires... pretty hard in the center and soft on the edges to give you a good mix of long life and cornering confidence... They are a very capable tire and even work well in the rain. If you push things though you will find thier limits.

The Sport Demons are more sporting than touring. Very sticky by comparison. Fine handling in the wet or dry... You sacrifice tire life though...

There's some tricks you can do with tires to make the bike handle radically different...
                    The stock front is a 100 and the rear is a 120...
                    Bridgestone makes the BT-45's in 120 for both the front and rear... This makes the bike very stable. Unfortunately that stability sacrifices some of the "tippyness"(made up the word) of the bike. You have to wrestle it a bit more to get it to corner for you.

Right now for a mix of stability at high speed and ease of cornering I'm running a 110 up front and a 120 on the back. The bike tips in very nicely and still feels very stable at speed.

Comment

Anything larger than a 100 front tire makes the bike turn in ridiculously slow. I pulled the 110 tire off my 1100 immediately after I purchased it and went to a 100 size. The handling immediately improved, hands down.

~Adam

Comment

Thanks for the tire info. I think I'll be leaning heavily to th sticky side with tires. I want to have the best traction, even if tire life is shorter. Besides, it's not really the tires life that I'm trying to extend.

Comment

If you want sticky I'd go with the following:

Metzeler Lasertec (most expensive of the bunch, but I love em)
                          Pirelli Sport Demon (cheaper, but a favorite here on this forum)
                          Dunlop XXXX - Someone will have to add which Dunlop is stickies, I don't know.

~Adam

Comment

Temporary Tags are On!

Haven't been out here much in the last week, but on 6/8/07 I finally got temp tags on the bike and took the first ride around more than the block! Since then I've put about 30 miles on the GS. This bike loves to run!

With two frozen and stripped pilot screws I've still got a challenge with the carburetion at idle, but I'm in the process of moving so my wrench time is super low right now and I need to have the bike mobile for the cross town move when it happens. Next upgrade will be to new tires.

Next step is to get it through Maryland State Inspection, which I expect to get done sometime next week.

PS: I have cleaned up the plastics a bit and I'll be posting "outdoor" (as in non-garage) pics as soon as I can remember to think about pics in the midst of enjoying my daily rides!

Comment

Woo very nice sir... now get some new rubbers on her and ride the heck out of her...

Comment

Fast/High Idle after warm-up.

Well, at the moment I'm trying to get my bike through state inspection, but I've run into a bit of an issue with the idle. Bike starts up first time every time \\/(under full choke when cold, of course). Runs a touch rough at idle and "take off", but once the RPMs hit the 3000+ range (redlines over 10000) it loves to run and sounds and feels great! The problem is that once it's warmed up it likes to idle at about 3000 and the warmer it gets, the higher it wants to idle, up to almost 5000. Not sure if this will keep it from passing safety inspection, but I need to deal with it either way because of cooling issues (5000 RPMs while sitting = nothing good!).

Here's are my thoughts on the issue:

1) Pilot screws (idle air/fuel mix) may need adjustment. Unfortunately, two of four are frozen and were stripped by the PO. Suggestions?
                                2) Choke seems to be functioning properly, as I can further increase idle by applying choke after warm up.
                                3) Air leak seems unlikely as I've sprayed intake boot seams with WD-40 to momentarily plug any leaks that may exist. No effect.
                                4) I've adjusted the throttle cable and it seems to move freely and have enough slack to allow full return. I've also lubed it liberaly. Seems an unlikely culprit since idle is ALWAYS fine when cold and only runs high when warmed-up or hot.
                                5) Throttle slides, while ever so slightly scratched, do not seem to have excessive wear (besides, bike has less than 4000 miles on it).

Ideas, suggestions, thoughts, tips, helpful hints? I'll take 'em all! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X