No announcement yet.

Project Cooley Beast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That seemed slow and noisy to me. Nice colors though.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

a what?

hey guys, please enlighten this GS noob (me) and tell me what the hell a cooley is? and what the hell a skunk is?

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
        hey guys, please enlighten this GS noob (me) and tell me what the hell a cooley is? and what the hell a skunk is?
        Google Wes Cooley and a skunk is a early Black and white Gs1000. If you look in my photobucket site under "Cycle World GS1000 preview Feb 1978" thats a skunk
        Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2011, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Skunks are FIRST year GS 1000s and the only year they were made with the indented tank badge areas.. thats why they are considered rarer and desirable..
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Didnt know they made a blue and white 250. that rider is huge. If ray can poke a stick , can we all?

Comment

I been schooled

thanks for the info guys. learnin the lingo, ya know...

Comment

Lingo was a game show hosted by Chuck Wollery..mid 90s vintage.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                  Didnt know they made a blue and white 250. that rider is huge. If ray can poke a stick , can we all?
                  I'm only 6'2" and 230 lbs. Not THAT big!
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                  79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                    Both! I'll just tell the cops the baffle fell out a few miles back.
                    I've run mine both ways. It sounds good with the baffle out but it is so loud that I thought better of it and replaced. I actually prefer to run it with the baffle in. It does sound better, is much quieter and less annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                      A "Cooley" is a misnomer for a GS1000S, a sport version of the GS1000 produced in limited numbers in 1979 and 1980. They were painted in Suzuki factory racing blue and white with a fork mounted cafe fairing. Many people erroneously call it a Wes Cooley replica because Wes Cooley, a talented superbike racer for Yoshimura Racing, rode a GS1000S in 1980-81. Cooley first rode a GS1000R for Yoshimura Racing in 1978. The 1000R was basically a racebike based on a GS1000.

A "Skunk" is a 1978 GS1000. It got its name because one of the paint schemes was all black with a while stripe painted in an indentation located on the lower portion on each side of the fuel tank. The stripe extended to the tailpiece and was encircled with gold pinstriping. There were other color schemes but the black with white popularized the skunk nickname for obvious reasons.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2011, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudeman View Post
                        A "Cooley" is a misnomer for a GS1000S, a sport version of the GS1000 produced in limited numbers in 1979 and 1980. They were painted in Suzuki factory racing blue and white with a fork mounted cafe fairing. Many people erroneously call it a Wes Cooley replica because Wes Cooley, a talented superbike racer for Yoshimura Racing, rode a GS1000S in 1980-81. Cooley first rode a GS1000R for Yoshimura Racing in 1979. The 1000R was basically a racebike based on a GS1000.

A "Skunk" is a 1978 GS1000. It got its name because one of the paint schemes was all black with a while stripe painted in an indentation located on the lower portion on each side of the fuel tank. The stripe extended to the tailpiece and was encircled with gold pinstriping. There were other color schemes but the black with white popularized the skunk nickname for obvious reasons.
                        Did not know that about the SKUNK terminology. Ya never know what you'll learn at TheGSR. Thanks!

Comment

thanks for the responses, I opened a lil can of worms on that one. nothing will compare to the "how to ruin a perfectly good frame" thread. ha ha entertaining, I aint coming close to jumpin into that battle.. ha ha I have to tell you what though, ad I recently looked through all the past Bikes of the Month, there are a number of 78, 1000's in there. What is it about them that makes them look so sweet.. I think that long low seat and stripes give em a vintage racing look in a way. Lucky all you who have one. Cooleys and Skunks, nice.

Comment

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post
                            Did not know that about the SKUNK terminology. Ya never know what you'll learn at TheGSR. Thanks!
                            The paint scheme was also referred to as the Skink. I assume this prolly derived from the ones with blue stripes.
                            -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC
                            DONE!!! Rebuild thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=155564
                            -2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Comment

Here's an update:

I had the bike running but it was blowing oil out the tailpipe. One of the valve stem seals was buggered up. I just finished changing it out, and just got the bike back together. She's still smoking a bit, but that's probably from the crap in the exhaust port. I'll give her a shake down ride tomorrow. Also, I took the Yoshi pipe back off until I can get it ceramic coated and a baffle in it..it was way loud! I put on a NOS Alphabet pipe I've had forever in a box. Looks good and sound good. Here's a few pics after her bath.

Last edited by renobruce; 07-24-2011, 02:11 PM.
                              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

What did you learn in buying this head from someone you didn't know? Ray.

Comment

Working...
                                X