Boingk's GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boingk's GS850

Hi guys, former member here and great to be back; both here on the site and owning a GS!

I picked this one up from ebay, yet to take delivery:

She's an '82 GS850, apparently with 'extensive' work done. I know this includes the stator, so that's good news. Used to be a daily rider, hopefully to be so once again.

The plan for now is to:
    1. Pick her up
    2. Ride her home
    3. Look her over
    After I do that I'll write back with some more. The general plan of attack is to polish up the rear wheel shaft housing, both engine side cases and any other large expanses of metal to a reasonable lustre... and then go over her with a fine toothed comb to see if there is anything else that needs doing.

Cheers - boingk

Originally posted by boingk View Post

She's an '82 GS850, apparently with 'extensive' work done.
    Yep, part of that "extensive" work will include:
    - '80/'81 frame
    - '80/'81 engine
    - '80/'81 tank
    - '80/'81 gauges
    - '80/'81 wheels
    - '80/'81 airbox
    - '80/'81 side covers
    - '80/'81 tail piece
    - '80 turn signals.

I would put my money on the fact that it is a 1980 GS850, not an '82.

Other than that, it's a great-looking bike.

Check the production date on the steering stem to be sure.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Haha, thanks Steve.

I'm guessing the fellow probably quoted the year of first rego on his papers.

Cheers - boingk

Comment

That's a possibility. Might even be normal in your area, but is some places, if the "man in blue" decides to get up-close and personal with your VIN plate, your bike might be taken away for some "invesitgation".

You might want to do some inquiries before things get nasty.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Not to worry. We've got a database called the Registration of Encumbered Vehicles Service, you run the VIN details and get any secrets the vehicle is hiding.

My VTR1000F, for example, was cosmetically written off and then repaired and inspected by an authorized inspection station before being reregistered for the road and passing into my hands.

Quick run through on the smartphone and we're good to go.

Cheers - boingk

Comment

Cobbled together my 'picking up a bike and then riding it 200 miles home' kit, haven't used one in a while so if there's anything obvious missing please suggest something:

1: Fresh fluids (4 litres 10W-40 Diesel oil, Dot 4 brake fluid, 75W-90 gear oil)
            2: Fresh filters (oil and air)
            3: Emergency battery (12.6v 2.2Ah Lithium Polymer)
            4: 1/2" and 1/4" driver sets (6mm through 21mm plus extensions)
            5: Assorted screwdrivers
            6: Spark plugs
            7: Fuses
            8: Spare wire + heatshrink
            9: Rags and degreaser
            10: Mobile phone and credit card!

That combo generally fits in a small hiking pack and will get me out of trouble for most situations... not to mention get the bike to a basic level of maintenance before a longish freeway trip.

My first stop is usually the mechanics for an inspection, then insurance and registration offices so I can legally own the bike. After that we're off to the servo to fill with fuel and top up the tyres before the ride. I generally change the oils and filters at the mechanics beforehand as they have the gear to take care of the used oils. Fitting an inline fuel filter to a bike that has been standing for a while is a good idea in my opinion, too, if you do not have the opportunity to drain the tank. I like the sintered bronze clear-bodied type.

Anywho, that's the plan at the moment. As before if it looks like I'm forgetting anything at all then just let me know.

Cheers - boingk

Comment

Ah, the adventure of riding the new acquisition home! The 850 shaftie is a wonderful machine -- enjoy it mate!

Comment

Hey, FB!

I've always thought your project was awesome, have checked out your site many times.

The 850 is indeed a good steed... I used to have one and loved it, but sold it before I really rode it much. This is an unashamed grab at nostalgia for me.

- boingk

Comment

Welcome back to the forums. I am also a new 850 owner. Mine is an 82' though. Mine also looks to be in a little rougher shape (which was the idea, I geuss). Looking forward to see more of your bike.

Comment

nice one! my mates got one of those except its a bit different now

where are you in aus mate?
                    Melbourne?!

Comment

Cheers guys!

You'll have a blast on your 850 when you're done, Hakamisu, they're a rock-solid steed with a good torque curve and very reliable once sorted. Don't worry about the rougher shape, I've had some shockers that ran very well once they were serviced.

niksog, I'm up just North of Canberra in the Southern Highlands. I've got family in Melbourne, though. Your 400 build should be a hoot, never ridden one of the 400 fours but have always heard that they ran very well.

My last 850 was different looking for sure:

Cheers - boingk

Comment

This weekend I made the trip North to see my girlfriend... and also to pick up the 850!

I got a lift up with a mate and his partner who were heading for a day by the water, and after filling out papers etc I rode the (unregistered!) bike the half-hour back to my girlfriends place.

The trip was good; I got reacquainted with the GS series and felt very much at home in doing so. It was a warm day out and everything went well - all the lights worked, all the instrument lights work (even the gear indicators!) and the bike handles and goes well. The only thing that doesn't work is the speedometer... but given 70mph/110mph is roughly 5,000rpm in top that didn't really matter.

Anyway, here she is after picking her up:

And here we are after a bit of suds, polish, fresh engine & gear oil and some new hydraulic fluid:

That last shot is just before I made the run back home (200 miles / 320km) and after I rode it into town to get inspected and then registered for the road. She made the trip home fine and seems to get reasonably good fuel economy, too. Haven't worked it out exactly yet but its around the 5 litres per 100km mark, or roughly 47 miles to the US gallon. Not bad.

The plan at the moment is to finish servicing her; the battery is in need of a proper charge and fluid top up and I didn't get to change the transfer case oil, only the bevel drive oil. The front brake fluid reservoir is also badly UV damaged and will need replacing soon, I may also do the lines while I'm at it.

Everything else will be staying stock and the only things I want to change are the grips, which are perished, and the metalwork, which is oxidized. An afternoon with a tub of Mothers Metal Polish and a rag and she'll be looking grand.

More as it comes.

Cheers - boingk

Comment

Bought a wire wheel and buffing attachment for my drill that, combined with some metal polish, is doing wonders for the finish on the metalwork.

Pictures when finished.

- boingk

Comment

Polishing going okay, here she is outside work:

A few more hours of elbow grease and she'll be ready for me to do the engine fins. The muffler especially is coming up well.

I also ordered some new shocks for the rear, should turn up next week:

Cheers - boingk

Comment

Shocks turned up:

- boingk

Comment

Working...
                              X