No announcement yet.

new to forum, new to gs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a link explaining it better. http://www.chinonthetank.com/2014/04...-registration/

Comment

You can just get the VIN notorirzed??? Bastards make me go to law enforcement and get it checked. Good to know.

Hey man if it works I wish you luck with it. Lord knows we needs as much money as we can get with damn Gov. Shumlin taking a wrecking ball to our budget and wasting millions on his failed state universal health care system.

Let me know it goes!
      Jedz Moto
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2002 Honda Reflex 250
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
      2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
      Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Thank you sir, will do. I suppose NJ refuses to fix the roads around me, so we'll see what Vermont does with my registration money. So far I haven't filled out any forms and its still the closest I've ever been to getting a title fixed here. Even if nj doesn't title it for me, I could still just renew the Vermont registration every year!

So far, I've picked up a set of valve feeler gauges, a suzuki valve shim tool (08-0017) and a Haynes gs550/ 4 cyl manual. I haven't had any time to work on her yet. I've had her three days and been called into work 3 days (scheduled days off mind you). I did find enough time to throw a cover over her, however. I will be getting the o-rings and bolts from Robert at cycleorings.com but first I need to figure out exactly what year bike I'm looking at. Can you guys tell from the pic what year it is? I left my paperwork elsewhere and I'd like to order these tonight.

The bike came with keys except for the Vetter trunk. The seller told me he had no idea what was in there because he couldn't get it open. I guess he never tried pushing in the release buttons because they weren't locked! I found a bike cover, a bunch of old registration and insurance proofs and its old license plate! I had a friend in law enforcement run the tag and it was last registered to the name on the registration and it was never reported stolen. Thank God!

Comment

Ok, it's definitely a 1980. I just picked up intake gaskets, o-rings, and stainless hex bolts for the intake boots. Thank you Robert for setting the site up!

The next major purchase is a battery and well see if the motor is as good as the seller stated.

Comment

Ed, welcome to the GS Forum, that's a very nice bike you got there for a great deal and only 7K miles.

There is a full Suzuki OEM service manual online on the link provided above, http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/..._77-82_all.pdf

Probably better than the Haynes manual, I prefer the Suzuki manuals.

I noticed the sellers ad states the tires are "good" I have purchased many used bikes with "good" tires on them that are 20-30 years old, check the date codes, if more than 5 years old replace them if you plan on riding the bike.

Look on the side wall of the tire for an oval shaped indent with a few letters and numbers, if the tire has only 3 digits (Numbers), it's pre year 2000, and if it had 4 digits it's post 2000, to read the code, first 2 digits are week of manufacture and last 2 are year of manufacture (or if only a single digit the year of the decade but you will not know which decade).

I see quite a few older bikes out there riding around on old tires and I've done it myself occasionally but I'm very cautious, so please check them out before you ride it.
            2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
            2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
            1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
            2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
            1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
            1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
            1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
            Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Yeah, I definitely need new tires, they are like rocks. I suppose what the seller meant was "tires hold air". The bike hasn't been registered since 1995 so I know they're old. Thank you for the tire code breakdown, that will definitely prove useful. I've been over to basscliff's site and downloaded everything that seemed appropriate. Wow that's a lot of info! Thank you, basscliff(Cliff?).

Comment

Thanks guys. I saw that there is a Projects section so I'll start a thread over there in about a week or so. I'd like to get lots of pics for you guys and show her off. The eBay pics don't do her justice.

I'll come back to this thread with an update on the paperwork status.

Thanks again,

Ed

Comment

Working...
                X