Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! 1980 GS850G Starts, but stumbles-Pops-won't rev??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
    Pods and a kerker pipe, only 1 size up on the main jet and he's not lean...very interesting observation
    I agree
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
      He'd be showing it off idle even with a possible air leak. His plug color is fine but thats with an assumed airleak which leans the mixture out even more. I'd be more interested in how his needle is than the size of the jet so for the time being it seems he's not lean, which is why I made that observation as to not worry about the jets because it is unlikely the cause of the problem especially since it supposedly ran fine before.
      But he's been running it with the choke/inrichener on
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
        But he's been running it with the choke/inrichener on

Good call, didn't realize that. But still for the time being.... he's not lean

I still doubt thats the cause of his problem. Personally I'd been running stock mains with raised needles and cracked headers at the flange and running lean but completely rideable.

Comment

especially since it supposedly ran fine before.
          Goodness knows no seller said that before.

He has to run it with the choke on. I believe his plug reads were with the choke on.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
            Goodness knows no seller said that before.

He has to run it with the choke on. I believe his plug reads were with the choke on.

Thanks for the input guys... Just for clarity, the seller is my best friend, who is going through a divorce and was just thinning things out... He really was riding this thing daily, and it ran fine, just as I described. He has no reason to lie to me, and never has. He's also a professional mechanic and owns a business building/maintaining racecars, so he knows his stuff.

Anyhow, I took off the intakes last night and I doubt the o-rings were even making contact with the mounting surface any longer... they are HARD and flat and recessed up. I'll shoot some pics today and post.

I have two stubborn screws to remove, so I'll work on that today, then get everything cleaned up and see where I am.

As for the clamps, I ordered them from BikeBandit (seems I should just have a conveyor belt from their door to mine lately!), and they are "SGP" part number 09402-52306 (Bandit part number 09402-52306-11384348-109) They are suppose to be for a 1980 GS850GT. Mine is an 850G... Perhaps that's the issue with their size??

As for jetting... I would think that main jets wouldn't be the issue at idle or just off idle, but perhaps I'm wrong. One would think it would run at some level and just lean out up through the power band. The main circuit should even be in play that low in the range, but again, I could be mistaken. I've raced sports cars for years, so I know all about how to tune Webers (48IDA, 32/36, etc), as well as making Quadrajets work, so I'm not a complete newbie to this... just to the Bike end of things...

I will eliminate the possibility of the intake tract leaking and get things back together and continue trouble-shooting from there, if necessary. Hopefully I can get it running, then we'll work on jetting, and likely making the investment into a balancer for the carbs...

Comment

One more quick question... can the intakes generally be reused if they aren't cracked and are still fairly flexible, or should one just replace them after all these years? Not against spending the $$ to do it right, but if it's not necesaary, Lord knows there are other areas of the bike that money can be spent on (like a new Stator upgrade, etc.)

Thanks again,

Comment

Quick update... Just ran out to the garage and was able to carefully remove the two stuck bolts from the 3 and 4 intake runners (lower bolt in each), so all the intakes are off.

The intake o-rings are very hard, and when I lay a machinist's rule across the mounting surface, I can see a gap between the rule and the o-ring. It appears on these intakes that the center aluminum ring is SLIGHTLY higher than the outter mounting surface? Is that correct?

Either way, the O-rings obviously need replacing. Not sure that's the whole problem, but we'll get new ones installed and some stainless socket-head fasterers (with anti-seize... Yup, BassCliff... I HAVE been reading your site! It's like a good Rootbeer and Rum... I can't stop! )

The intakes themselves, while dirty, appear to be intact and still flexible. I'll get them cleaned up today and inspect carefully. Would still like to hear from the experienced as to whether these should be replaced as a matter of maintenance, or if they are generally reusable.

Just have to wait for the O-Rings and Fasteners to show up...

Comment

I'm guessing this isn't a good thing.... Three out of the four intakes were able to have the rubber part pulled pretty easily away from the aluminum mounting base...

Comment

Yeah you need new ones. They can be pretty pricey, I've seen them between 20 to 60 bucks each depending on the model

Comment

Yeah you need new ones. They can be pretty pricey, I've seen them between 20 to 60 bucks each depending on the model

Looks like BikeBandit has them... about $33.00 each. Can I assume that the 1980 GS850GT and GS850G (mine) would use the same part? That's the bike they have listed. I think they also list the GL...

Even with new ones, would it be a good idea to put a clamp around this end of the intake as well, to prevent this from happening again??

Comment

Originally posted by Darin Jordan View Post
                        Even with new ones, would it be a good idea to put a clamp around this end of the intake as well, to prevent this from happening again??
                        Nevermind... I just looked at them again... that air tap screw is in the way...

Comment

New intakes on the way from BikeBandit... Seems this is a daily occurance at the moment... I think I've spent more on shipping than on parts at this point!

Comment

New intakes on the way from BikeBandit... Seems this is a daily occurance at the moment... I think I've spent more on shipping than on parts at this point!
                            I'm not sure what you were asking as far as clamping? Do you mean should you clamp the intake boots with your carbs in them, then absolutly.

You want the thin kinds too so they seal better as the carbs have a little groove in them to make the best seal.

Comment

(I never did take all the carbs off the rack and replace the O-rings in the t-fittings)
                              Sorry, but if you did not take the rack apart, you have not yet cleaned the carbs. Even though it was only sitting for three months (according to a previous post), fuel can gum up in the little passages that can NOT be reached by spraying. The carbs have to be soaked overnight to clean them effectively. That requires removing them from the rack.

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                              Pods and a kerker pipe, only 1 size up on the main jet and he's not lean...very interesting observation
                              Actually, Keith Krause calls that just half a size.
                              Regardless of how many sizes you want to increase, stock jets are 115, for your pods and a pipe, you should probably be in the 125-130 range.
                              I have a quiet (restrictive) pipe and stock airbox on my son's bike, and am running 120 mains.

They are suppose to be for a 1980 GS850GT. Mine is an 850G... Perhaps that's the issue with their size??
                              Just you know, you HAVE a GS850GT.

The T on the end is for the 1980 model year.

Looks like BikeBandit has them... about $33.00 each. Can I assume that the 1980 GS850GT and GS850G (mine) would use the same part? That's the bike they have listed. I think they also list the GL...

Nothing wrong with Bike Bandit, except they tend to be the second most expensive supplier out there, behind Alpha Sports.
                              Did you get your Welcome Wagon thingy from BassCliff? Did you read through it? There is a sizeable list of vendors with commentaries.

As mentioned just above, you DO have a GS850GT. Saying it's a 1980 GS850 is redundant, because the T means that it's an '80.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Nothing wrong with Bike Bandit, except they tend to be the second most expensive supplier out there, behind Alpha Sports.
                                Did you get your Welcome Wagon thingy from BassCliff? Did you read through it? There is a sizeable list of vendors with commentaries.

As mentioned just above, you DO have a GS850GT. Saying it's a 1980 GS850 is redundant, because the T means that it's an '80.

Actually they had the cheapest intake boots when I had bought mine and right now are having a sale on most things too.

Comment

Working...
                                X