No announcement yet.

GSXR/Katana Upgrades on my 550EF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike is going down to Exhaust shop late next week to get the GSXR 750 muffler welded on instead of this gutted POS Kerker muffler

I'm putting on some baffles on the K&Ns so that I'll be able to run the bike until the colortune gets here and the muffler is welded on so that I can jet it properly.........Dynatek Green Coils and Dynatek 7mm Wires are installed now too

Tomorrow, Sunday, I will cut-out the center brace of my center-stand so that it will clear my GSXR 750 Rear Shock....... and then I will cut out the upper fairing to clear my clubman's and lever assemblies.....

Did I miss anything yet?

Comment

soon to come still:

Clocks
      Ignition Switch mounted
      Fairings Mounted/cut
      Keyless Gas Cap
      GM Fuel Gauge
      ZX9 Tail Light
      GSXR750 Muffler
      Jet Stage 3 Kit
      Dual Headlight Swap
      Custom GS550E Rearsets
      Gloss Black Paint
      Orange and Red Vinyl Graphics

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
        Dynatek Green Coils and Dynatek 7mm Wires are installed now too

Tomorrow, Sunday, I will cut-out the center brace of my center-stand so that it will clear my GSXR 750 Rear Shock....... and then I will cut out the upper fairing to clear my clubman's and lever assemblies.....

How much of a diff did the coils and wires give you? I was looking at accel coils and wires down the road.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2009, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beingblueeyes View Post
          How much of a diff did the coils and wires give you? I was looking at accel coils and wires down the road.

The coils and wires are a DREAM!!! it idles sooooooooo smoooth

The suspension upgrade is DONE............you can see the shock at the bottom is mounted upside down.

I cut the line from the OEM shock to the dampner in order to quickly remove it.

With the bike on center stand I removed my battery box then removed my stock airbox. The batter box must be removed first in order for the airbox to slide out. I removed the lower mounting bolt for the shock first as this allows the shock to slide upwards in order to remove the top bolt. They are both 14mm or 9/16 on both ends. With the OEM shock removed, I mounted the 99 GSXR750 shock upside down. This allows it to bolt directly to the top mount with the GSXR750 bolt and OEM spacers. The bottom/top of the GSXR750 shock came with the fork bolt mounted. I had to remove this bolt mount and then add a couple washers evenly on each side to make up the space from the OEM spacers that couldn't be used.....I say that because I didn't want to grind them down to fit! Washers were more readily available! I used the OEM bottom Bolt and Nut and tightened down. I had to have my daughter sit on the back seat to pull the shock down until I lined up the bottom bolt....I got it started, then just hit it through with a ballpeen hammer. EASY!!!! I gained about 3/4 inch of seat highth......the CENTER STAND must be modified!!!! Tomorrow I will be using the sawzall to cut the brace bar out of the middle of the center stand in order to clear the GSXR 750 rear shock. I will weld some square tubing accrossed the bottom of the center stand leaving just enough clearance for the rear tire.......I am also starting on the square tubing brace acrossed the top of the rear swingarm in order to have something for the GSXR1000 hugger and chaingaurd to mount to
          Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2009, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Went on a ride today and WOW what a difference........

I have a top end bog down from not being able to re-jet the carbs yet but the "baffle" I chose to use was more like a pre-filter in that I decided that if I covered the PODS with something it would cause more resistance so I used two EVERLAST Skullcaps rubberbanded on to create a similar resistance as the airbox.......it idles good, just a little too much at top end...

suspension is PERFECT! I was going 70 mph, let go of the handlebars and sat up.......NO wobble at all

was going through a twisty and waived to another rider and not a worry about a wobble...........

I was asked at stoplights 6 times today what I was riding!!! I even had a guy pull up next to me and tell me my Kawasaki Z1 looked good......... His wife laughed at him when I said it was a Suzuki 550

Comment

as far as the coils go.....I will be pulling the tank tomorrow again and covering the terminals with dielectric grease!

it rained on me for 15 minutes on my way home and as soon as they got wet..............what a dog!!!!!!

these coils are a dream when it's dry............suck arse when it's wet

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
                Went on a ride today and WOW what a difference........

suspension is PERFECT! I was going 70 mph, let go of the handlebars and sat up.......NO wobble at all

was going through a twisty and waived to another rider and not a worry about a wobble...........

good for you man, dam i want to ride mine

Comment

Originally posted by beingblueeyes View Post
                  good for you man, dam i want to ride mine

we need to do a GS550 ride.......nothing but 550s!

then we would look like a bunch of KZ 1000s riding down the road

Comment

Hey man were you able to get a part number off those pods?

Comment

Originally posted by mostholycerebus View Post
                      Hey man were you able to get a part number off those pods?
                      K&N POD number:

HA-0750

This filter is 5 1/8” x 3 7/8” oval filter at 4 1/8” height.

I had to glue the carb boots onto the PODS using Loctite Oil & Gas resistant glue. Then used some clear bathroom caulking after 30 minutes of cure time to create a water/air tight seal.

I will take pictures and post them shortly.......
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2009, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Holy crap, so they aren't simple bolt-ons that you can clamp down? That might be an issue. I was hoping there was still a clamp-on filter out there for our carbs.

Comment

it's one of the first upgrades that isn't a direct bolt-on.....but it's a simple job and you'll see that the carb boots slide into these filters as if they were meant to be

Comment

Exhaust mod just needs paint now!!!!

Kerker 4into1 Header, custom mid-pipe, GSXR750 can:

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X