X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

With you on?
    Not yet!

The running tally numbers are for dry weight which is fine however, there is no fun with no fuel!

After test rides to check fuel consumption it works out that 13 litres of fuel gives a range of 219.375 km. Using those numbers I can reduce the fuel load from a full tank of 21 litres down to 13 litres and still have enough fuel to have fun for a few hours.

So why do these fuel numbers matter for the project? Less fuel is less weight as well as lowering the centre of gravity and both of those are a good thing to make for fun riding.

The take away from the reduced fuel load is knowing how much fuel I need for a total riding (curb) weight for the Kat and not carry extra fuel that isn't needed.

So as of today the riding total weight of the Kat (without me aboard) is:

199.864 kg

Riding a sub 200 kg 1981 Katana fitted with an EF 1135 engine has transformed my riding experience to a level of enjoyment I didn't fully understand could be possible at the start of this project! The result so far is beyond all my expectations and although this has been a long, expensive and at times a very trying build to find solutions to reducing the weight I can say, hand on heart it has been worth the effort, no doubt what so ever!

I believe there are still some areas that can be modified to reduce the weight further so there will be updates in the future. I am still thinking about installing the Mikuni 38mm flat slide carbs but that is a job for another day.
    Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 08-25-2024, 08:33 PM.
    Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
    Shin-Ken 1074
    1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
    1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

No one has offered an opinion on this, but this may be right up your alley. My '82 11E doesn't have a center stand, so that's good for weight savings. But, if it did have one might not the center of gravity be lower?

Not a huge difference either way, but as someone who's weighing every tenth of a gram, I thought you might have an opinion. I think it's better off without the center stand, as the lowering of C. of G. with it, if any, would be imperceptible.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        No one has offered an opinion on this, but this may be right up your alley. My '82 11E doesn't have a center stand, so that's good for weight savings. But, if it did have one might not the center of gravity be lower?

Not a huge difference either way, but as someone who's weighing every tenth of a gram, I thought you might have an opinion. I think it's better off without the center stand, as the lowering of C. of G. with it, if any, would be imperceptible.
        I don't know the weight of an 11E centre stand but a Kat centre stand with bolts, bushes and spring is 2,330 grams so the centre stand is long gone from the build. The centre stand is the lowest bit of hardware (not including wheels) so its effect on the C of G would be minimal compared to having that weight up around the bars, clocks and fuel. Someone here may have the correct answer to the stands effect on C of G but it isn't me.
        Shin-Ken 1074
        1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Took the Kat out today to test the modified (lighter) seat pad for a two hour ride and so far so good. The new seat pad is smaller in area and 26mm thinner and has lowered the riding position. Although the seat pad is thinner the ride was very comfortable and in fact is more comfortable compared to the previous seat pad with the higher sitting position. I didn't think lowering the sitting position by 26 mm would make such a difference to improving comfort as well as improving handling with the change to the riding position. In this case changing the ride to suit the rider has turned out well even if the reason for the change was to reduce weight with no consideration for improved comfort and handling.
          Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 08-25-2024, 08:27 PM.
          Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Now that the Project is a going concern and is performing well, there is now time for some tweeking to shed some grams here and there when any excess weight is identified. There is no bar buzz being generated throughout the rev range so the bar end-weights can go as well as cutting 20mm off the clip-ons to lighten the bars. My guess is around 140-160 grams will bite the dust, will know the answer this weekend after surgery.
            Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Have removed the bar weights and cut 20 mm off the end of each clip-on.

Barweights 20mm off cut by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Running tally = 199.724 kg
              Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Next thing to go on a diet will be the mirrors. Right now the Kat is fitted with genuine Suzi mirrors and being genuine they are a quality part however, that quality includes weight. I found a set of used Barrac mirrors with aluminium stems, compared to the OEM steel stem these should be lighter than what I have now, fingers crossed. Barrac also make these in carbon, lighter but expensive!

The mirrors should arrive in a few weeks with the rest of my parts order.

Barrac Mirrors 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 08-31-2024, 07:33 PM.
                Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

My factory mirrors.

Mirror factory by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                  Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

While I am waiting for the mirrors to arrive and see what they weigh, hopefully less than OEM mirrors, I had time to fit the volt meter today. Made the bracket last week and left it over the weekend
                    for the paint to cure. Adding weight is the opposite to what this build is about however, my electrical adviser strongly suggested that a volt meter is a must have to monitor a lithium battery. In our riding group several lithium batteries have failed with three of them popping the cases and luckily not catching fire. The cause was over-charging and the bikes did not have volt meters fitted so the owners had no way of knowing there was a problem until there was a problem. Found a light weight volt meter that fits under the engine temp gauge and doesn't look too over the top on a vintage Kat. The running tally is jumping up a few grams today.

volt meter 4 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

volt meter bracket 3 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

volt meter 5 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Running tally = 199.800 kg.
                    Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Working...
                    X