No announcement yet.

1981 GSX1100 Katana Based Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I installed the fuel tank yesterday and it was leaking fuel past the tap flange and through the tap bolts. After removing the tank and inspecting the tank flange plate I noticed the extruded aluminium flange plate had some score marks running along the length of the flange and the tap bolt threads in the flange are not very tight. I have sanded the flange with 800 grit and then polished the plate to remove the score marks and then cleaned the plate with acetone. Have installed the new tap and used a fuel rated thread paste on the bolts. After the thread paste has cured I'll add some fuel to the tank and sit it on the bench for 24 hours and check for leaks. For now the first test ride and 02 sensor readings has been delayed for a few days.
    Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 03-06-2024, 05:56 PM.
    Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
    Shin-Ken 1074
    1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
    1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

A day later and so far no leak. If its not leaking after another few hours and weather permitting I hope to have a short test ride later today.

Tap test by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
      Shin-Ken 1074
      1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Of course, there's a positive side to leaks. With every drip, your bike is losing weight.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          Of course, there's a positive side to leaks. With every drip, your bike is losing weight.
          Yes, love the way ya think!
          Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

The tap flange leak has stopped, yay! Time for the first test ride, a slow one to check everything is working as advertised and nothing falls off, that includes me.

First impression riding around town is very positive! Crisp and smooth gear changes, power rolls on without bogging down or hesitation. On corners it turns in very well and is so light on the bars compared to a stock Kat! Have made some minor adjustments to clutch cable and tyre pressure. Rear shocks and front end are doing well at low speed so no adjustment today. Highway speed and some rough roads will test the front and rear suspension so will see what adjustments are needed then. Brakes are amazing, good feel and not harsh on the front or rear with very predictable stopping. Did a few emergency stops, stays straight and pulls up very quick!

Acceleration from a standing start or rolling it on is so good I can't stop smiling. It is performing really well and looks like those Yoshi camshafts are doing their job even before the carbs are tuned. If the performance improves on top of what is there now this machine is going to be a weapons grade ride! Bring it on.
            Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 03-09-2024, 11:15 PM.
            Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

The build at this stage, running but certainly not the finish of the build, yet. Carbs need to be tuned and valve clearances done and record engine oil operating temperature to see if an oil cooler is needed, hope not, extra weight! There are still some things to be changed like swapping some titanium bolts for aluminium bolts to reduce weight.

Build 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Build 2 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
              Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 03-10-2024, 04:35 AM.
              Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Fitted an engine oil temp unit today, it is not staying on the bike - too heavy! I just want to check engine oil temps with city and open road riding to see if I can get away with not fitting an oil cooler. If the temps get high enough to warrant a cooler I have one that should do the job.

The temp displayed is the engine temp with the Kat sitting in the driveway before starting it. I expect to see numbers above 110C soon enough.
                oil temp 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post
                  ..... I can't stop smiling..
                  Congrats, great feeling after all that work, isn't it
                  Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                  VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                  Bikecliff's website
                  The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Time for the first test ride... If the performance improves on top of what is there now this machine is going to be a weapons grade ride!
                    Glen, CONGRATULATIONS on DW180!!! I may have to fly down and take her for a ride myself!
                    Scott
                    1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                    1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                    1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                    2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate :) 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                    sigpic

Comment

Didn't the Kat come with an oil temp gauge when it was new?
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post

Congrats, great feeling after all that work, isn't it
                        If I had known how much better the Kat is to ride after this build I would have done it years ago! Yep, a great feeling for sure!
                        Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Originally posted by gs scott View Post

Glen, CONGRATULATIONS on DW180!!! I may have to fly down and take her for a ride myself!
                          Thanks Scott, you are welcome to take it for a blat however, be warned, once you try a Super Leggera Kat for yourself it could be difficult to go back to a stock ride.

Cheers mate.
                          Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 03-11-2024, 05:52 PM.
                          Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            Didn't the Kat come with an oil temp gauge when it was new?
                            The E24 Australian Kats didn't have an oil temp gauge on the clocks, the red oil light on the dial is a low oil pressure warning light.
                            Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 03-11-2024, 05:50 PM.
                            Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Not an oil temp gauge, a low oil pressure light.
                              The oil 'idiot' light has been standard since I became aware (the 1960's). But my '82 11E has a beautifully integrated oil temperature gauge. I'm surprised to learn that Katanas, which I believe first appeared in 1981, did not have one.

Comment

The Katana clocks are a tidy unit and perhaps the design team wanted to keep the clocks focused on the two needles so there are no extras like oil temp, fuel gauge, amp meter or side stand down warning light.

As you know, some other Suzuki clocks were fitted with all the bells and whistles but not the Kat.
                                Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 03-11-2024, 06:04 PM.
                                Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Working...
                                X