No announcement yet.

newG 1100g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geez, that's starting to look like a bike shop awesome! Looks like some great maintenance you're doing that's for sure. Ummm...Ottawa in August?? oh well, you're used to the heat.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
      Geez, that's starting to look like a bike shop awesome! Looks like some great maintenance you're doing that's for sure. Ummm...Ottawa in August?? oh well, you're used to the heat.
      It wasn't my choice. The ladies ruled on this one. You need one of these lifts! Get Trevor to get you one.....
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I'm considering this faring. Not long now...........
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Looks like it's already bolted on.
          I'm sure that'll be more comfy than riding a chair in a hurricane.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Good choice Charlie.
            Rob
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

This is what it actually looks like today after a 200 mile plus test ride. These are the items I've complete to date preparing for my trip:

New 90 w oil in rear and secondary
              New fork oil.
              New brake lines and fluid.
              Adjusted to valves.
              Charging system: 14.10 volts @ 1100 rpm, 14.39 @2500 rpm
              New rear tire, front good for another 12k miles.....
              New intake boots and O-rings
              Sync carbs
              New Tachometer cable
              Install top case
              Install Shoei FM-2 faring, paint gloss black, "super glue" plexi-glass and polish
              Greased triple tee bearings.

Faring review: I've never ridden with a faring for more than 20 miles or so, so this is all new. I feel like there is more weight on my wrists and hands because I have no wind providing "Lift" off the bars. I have a concern that I may tend to slouch giving my back some problems without that "lift" I mentioned. If it becomes a problem I may toss the faring along the road. I have a lot more confidence to ride at higher speeds. I find myself in a turn going about 20-25 miles an hour faster than I think I'm going. Need to watch that. The air flows right over my head and I can see this might be really good if I encounter rain. There still seems to be a bit of air flow between me and the faring to offer cooling on our hot days.

Any suggestions of further maintenance......?
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Comment

Where did the fairing come from and what brand is it?
                Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

It looks like you dotted your "i's" and crossed your "t's"... Have a fun trip. ☺

nice upper shock mount nuts👍
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post

This is what it actually looks like today after a 200 mile plus test ride. These are the items I've complete to date preparing for my trip:

New 90 w oil in rear and secondary
                    New fork oil.
                    New brake lines and fluid.
                    Adjusted to valves.
                    Charging system: 14.10 volts @ 1100 rpm, 14.39 @2500 rpm
                    New rear tire, front good for another 12k miles.....
                    New intake boots and O-rings
                    Sync carbs
                    New Tachometer cable
                    Install top case
                    Install Shoei FM-2 faring, paint gloss black, "super glue" plexi-glass and polish
                    Greased triple tee bearings.

Faring review: I've never ridden with a faring for more than 20 miles or so, so this is all new. I feel like there is more weight on my wrists and hands because I have no wind providing "Lift" off the bars. I have a concern that I may tend to slouch giving my back some problems without that "lift" I mentioned. If it becomes a problem I may toss the faring along the road. I have a lot more confidence to ride at higher speeds. I find myself in a turn going about 20-25 miles an hour faster than I think I'm going. Need to watch that. The air flows right over my head and I can see this might be really good if I encounter rain. There still seems to be a bit of air flow between me and the faring to offer cooling on our hot days.

Any suggestions of further maintenance......?
                    Here's a suggestion from last year's trip to John Day. Add roadside assistance and towing to your insurance, for me it was $15.00 a year. And get a burner cell phone on a different network than your primary one. The only phones that worked in JD were Verizon. And take a spare clutch cable. And if you're BigD_83, a spare throttle tube, his crumbled in the parking lot of the motel.
                    sigpic
                    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                    1983 GS1100e
                    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                    1980 GS1260
                    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Sounds like all your maintenance is done Charlie. Are you taking some spare parts? special tools? And if I find out you've tossed that FM2 on the road I love mine for the G and trips. If you get sick of it put it in the mail for me and I'll give you gas money to get you thru part of your trip.
                      Rob

Comment

Hey Charlie, are you riding to Ottawa? Think you could get Justin's autograph for me??
                        No signature

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                          Where did the fairing come from and what brand is it?
                          I acquired it used. It was made by Shoei, a FM-2 I believe and they are discontinued. Don't bid on anything e-bay till after the 1st, please!

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                          It looks like you dotted your "i's" and crossed your "t's"... Have a fun trip. ☺

nice upper shock mount nuts

Oh these? Just something I was given by superb craftsman, Thank you very much! If I decide to head toward Pittsburg I'll shoot you a PM
                          Last edited by Charlie G; 07-28-2016, 02:23 AM.
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                            Sounds like all your maintenance is done Charlie. Are you taking some spare parts? special tools? And if I find out you've tossed that FM2 on the road I love mine for the G and trips. If you get sick of it put it in the mail for me and I'll give you gas money to get you thru part of your trip.
                            I plan on bringing enough tools to pull the rear tire in the event I get a flat. I'm not sitting there and watch some yahoo know it all contort my bike again. I've had a spare throttle and clutch cable since I got home from our trip in 2014. I won't have anyone to coach me through stop signs. If I decide to toss it, would it be cheaper to mail it to you from Canada? It's yours, if I do.....

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                            Hey Charlie, are you riding to Ottawa? Think you could get Justin's autograph for me??
                            and I'll swing over and get Donald's in NY while I'm headed east ........ Wait a minute, PM me his number, I have something to discus with him.....

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                            Here's a suggestion from last year's trip to John Day. Add roadside assistance and towing to your insurance, for me it was $15.00 a year. And get a burner cell phone on a different network than your primary one. The only phones that worked in JD were Verizon. And take a spare clutch cable. And if you're BigD_83, a spare throttle tube, his crumbled in the parking lot of the motel.
                            Actually I have road service, Verizon phone, and cables. Throttle tube, good thing I put that top case on there! The list grows longer........thanks
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g

Comment

IMG_0559.jpg

The present state of things. I haven't posted pictures in a while, so I just wanted to practice. Sorry for the interruption.
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]54098[/ATTACH]

The present state of things. I haven't posted pictures in a while, so I just wanted to practice. Sorry for the interruption.
                                I kinda expect a hammock or bunk on the wall in this garage.
                                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                                X