newG 1100g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not OEM…

“This bike has an oil coller on it. I don't think it is a stock item. Anyone know?”

Is that supposed to read: “oil cooler” ? If so than no, it's a mod from the PO.
    The 1100G is just a bigger version of your 650G.

Actually the first important engine test is for compression. So you know if it's worth saving.
    Bill
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

i'll swing with the 1100 being a bigger version of the 850 but the 650 is a very different animal.

top news on those pipes charl. i reckon they just look right.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        “This bike has an oil coller on it. I don't think it is a stock item. Anyone know?”

Is that supposed to read: “oil cooler” ? If so than no, it's a mod from the PO.
        The 1100G is just a bigger version of your 650G.

Actually the first important engine test is for compression. So you know if it's worth saving.
        Bill

I can do a compreession test without carbs, can't I? I put the battery in and turned it over a few times for giggles. I'll give it a try Sunday. I riding down to Happy Camp tomarrow to see why my son's XT-250 won't start. 90 miles on a twistie river road with tools and a new battery on my 650. Tough job.......but it's mine.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Cold compression test, as follows:

#1-125psi
          #2-120psi
          #3-125psi
          #4-115psi

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
            I can do a compreession test without carbs, can't I?
            That is actually the ideal way to do it. NO restriction on air flow. You are supposed to hold the throttle open anyway.

Cold compression test, as follows:

#1-125psi
            #2-120psi
            #3-125psi
            #4-115psi

cg
            Not bad for cold numbers.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good numbers Charlie. And HOW LONG has it been since it last ran?
              What is your altitude?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                Good numbers Charlie. And HOW LONG has it been since it last ran?
                What is your altitude?

Daniel

I'm guessing 4 years. 2700 ft above sea level. I was a bit disapointed with the 115, but it's cold and I suspect the rings are a bit dry of oil. Do you still have that 1100g tank?

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g

Comment

Looks good but…

Sounds like you did the cold and dry test.
                  Now do another test after putting a teaspoon of oil down the plug holes.
                  The compression will go way up, unless a valve is leaking, make a note if so.
                  Also, as the battery weakens and spins the engine slower, the compression numbers get lower.
                  Bill
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I'm guessing 4 years. 2700 ft above sea level. I was a bit disapointed with the 115, but it's cold and I suspect the rings are a bit dry of oil. Do you still have that 1100g tank?

cg
                    It's sitting in a well padded box waiting for you to take a peek.
                    No hurry. All of my other projects are going to be other colors.
                    I already have 2 black bikes. I like variety.
                    Again, those are very good numbers and tight between them. (less than 10% difference between cylinders)

Daniel

Comment

It's sitting in a well padded box waiting for you to take a peek.
                      No hurry. All of my other projects are going to be other colors.
                      I already have 2 black bikes. I like variety.
                      Again, those are very good numbers and tight between them. (less than 10% difference between cylinders)

Daniel
                      Bumping the thread as I'm ready to get going on this bike again. Daniel, your PM box is full. When you have time I'm ready for the tank and a Cowl if you have one. Might even take a ride over your way if the weather is good.

Charlie G.
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g

Comment

I didn't get any pic's of tail pieces today.
                        Got Jenny home and started to do some work on the carbs from the GSX1100G.
                        Tom MLC is in town to check out the Circus and I will be meeting him tomorrow for some rides.
                        Sending an ignition cover out to a chap in Georgia tomorrow if I can get by the Post Office.
                        There is a little room in my PM box again for a little while...

Daniel

Comment

I didn't get any pic's of tail pieces today.
                          Got Jenny home and started to do some work on the carbs from the GSX1100G.
                          Tom MLC is in town to check out the Circus and I will be meeting him tomorrow for some rides.
                          Sending an ignition cover out to a chap in Georgia tomorrow if I can get by the Post Office.
                          There is a little room in my PM box again for a little while...

Daniel
                          I don't mean to rush you. I know your busy. When you have time. Say hi to Tom. Let him know the goat path awaits him (and you). Cheers.

Charlie G.
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g

Comment

I don't mean to rush you. I know your busy. When you have time. Say hi to Tom. Let him know the goat path awaits him (and you). Cheers.

Charlie G.
                            Wait... you *sold* the 450!? Sacrilege!
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                              Wait... you *sold* the 450!? Sacrilege!

You are very observant. Gone on the 22th. My 650 is upset, so I need to get the 1100 going to help please her. When someone calls you and expresses an interest and you don't care if it sells or not. That can be an instant when it's the right time to sell. She has covered some of my expenses for my UK trip and I now have more room in my garage to tinker on the big "G".

I'll try not to become one of the "Liter Snobs" and remain true to the"Brotherhood of the Pint". Cheers Pete.

A guy can sure collect parts when they have an old bike. I have a speedo, carbs, seat, rear cowl, seat trim, headlight trim and ears. If I could just find a roller........

cg

sigpic
                              83 GS1100g

Comment

You are very observant. Gone on the 22th. My 650 is upset, so I need to get the 1100 going to help please her. When someone calls you and expresses an interest and you don't care if it sells or not. That can be an instant when it's the right time to sell. She has covered some of my expenses for my UK trip and I now have more room in my garage to tinker on the big "G".

I'll try not to become one of the "Liter Snobs" and remain true to the"Brotherhood of the Pint". Cheers Pete.

A guy can sure collect parts when they have an old bike. I have a speedo, carbs, seat, rear cowl, seat trim, headlight trim and ears. If I could just find a roller........

cg
                                I'm not surprised your 650 is upset!

I understand though, if it's a ho-hum don't mind if it stays don't mind if it goes sort of thing, then possibly best to let her go and the new owner will probably lavish the excitement she deserves instead

That's good, don't be a snob Charlie! Hahaha actually I haven't really had that much snobbiness around here, I think it's more lack of interest, and that happens to me the other way 'round occassionally too

Hahhaa you do almost have a spare bike there! Oh and I forgot to tell you not to worry with the seat too, I ordered the foam for $23 on Saturday, so I'll shape that up and get someone to cover it for me. If shipping wasn't so expensive I would've taken you up on it though... thanks again for the offer
                                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                                X