No announcement yet.

Another Aussie GS rebuild - GS1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long have you been waiting? Mine took about 6 weeks but it was ok because I was overseas most of the time. The look great and sure seem to work ok but they were such a PITA to install, so I can't be perfectly happy with them. They don't quite meet up properly under the bike either, so I had to make an bigger joining pipe that slips over the original pieces. Just today I noticed a leak there so I had to pull the whole bloody thing off and put some exhaust putty in there to seal them.

And my #20 pilot jets turned up, along with some spare E-clips for jet needles. I lost one when adjusting them last week. I have to say that Ian Williams Tuning in Adelaide is outstanding. I ordered them around midday Perth time yesterday and got them at 1.30pm today. Great service!

So today was my best ride yet. Not quite the euphoria of my first ride on this bike when I discovered just what a good bike a GS1100G is, but the best now that I have new flatslide carbies. I have very nearly nailed it I reckon. I might just try some larger main jets over the weekend to see how far I can push the top end, but the low end is where I spend more of my riding, and that is almost perfect now. I can't believe how smooth the bike is. And I'm really liking the riding position. Leaning forward, legs tucked under but there's not too much weight on my wrists and I have excellent heads up vision.

Still work to do but it's so fun to ride. I just wish it was easier to get better brakes on these bikes. As it is they are good but not amazing. I quite like amazing brakes...

Comment

Well fine tuning the carbs has taken longer than expected but I have learnt such a lot about them now, having taken pretty much every wrong turn I could have! Today's ride was fantastic. I can't believe how smooth the bike is, and the amount of GO on tap is hilarious. I have completely gotten rid of silly noises from the carbs and exhaust now and the exhaust even smells better now! It is a joy to ride now and that inspires greater confidence in the bike.

Still have a few things to do but definitely on the home stretch. As soon as I have done the tank and front fender I will post some more pics.

Comment

Looking forward to some pics mate.

Comment

Awesome stuff Jimmy!

And +1 on waiting for pic's, would love to see how she turned out
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Well it doesn't look much different from the last pics yet, but very soon... It's just so much fun to ride in the meantime.

Comment

Nice Jimmy, glad to hear it

I really need to get my carbs dialled in too, and looking like the end of next month will see some budget for more tuning equipment... can't wait!

sigpic

Comment

Raining today so not so much riding - I mean testing. Made one small tweak - turned the mix screws from 3/4 out to 1/2 out and that seems to have fixed my last "issue" with carb smoothness. It's weird that I have tried setting those mix screws according to highest idle and it just doesn't seem to work on my bike. But if I set them to tweak idle/just off idle richness they work a treat. Something you can't tell until you start riding.

In fact I found that adjusting anything on the carbs other than the idle adjust without testing it by riding was impossible.

Anyway, just as soon as I got the carbs running beautifully I get an intermittent starter! It didn't take long to work out it was a bad ground on the starter relay. So that's sorted now too. Nearly time to visit my friendly powdercoater again.

Comment

I know it's no fun me talking about this bike and not posting any pics, but I can't contain myself. Just came back in from another ride down the coast and damn this bike is so good to ride. I tweaked the mix screws and accel pump a tiny bit and I'm gradually getting this bike as smooth as butter. I think it's funny that I bought this bike purely on looks and it's ended up being such a great performer.

And when I think back to what this bike was like to ride when I first got it to how it rides now - well there is no comparison. Now it's running properly it even smells better and I don't think it needs new rings any more. There is no smell of burning oil any more or anything like that. I wonder if Suzukis of today will be able to be set up and run like this one does in 30 years time? It's pretty amazing.

I think the flatslide carbs were a good idea. I have leant so much about engines in the last few weeks. The RS36s really give the bike a kick up the backside and it feels like riding a new bike. 30 years old? Pah!
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2012, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Jimmy,

Pictures or not it's nice reading of your positive experience with your bike.

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Took some pics for you! Here is the new tail light. I thought the rear needed a bit of a lift, it was looking a bit dark.

And here is a close up of the signal lights. I found these neat little brackets at http://japan.webike.net/ They're apparently designed for a Yamaha I think but they fit the GS1100 perfectly.

Comment

Good stuff Jimmy! That all looks great

sigpic

Comment

Nice detail touches! You have the technique of taking photos of motorcycles down pretty good. Care to share what your doing with the light reduce glare, but still illuminate?

cg
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks guys! Most of my pics are just available light in my garage. However my garage is also my studio - I am a professional photographer. So I am embarrassed by some of the crappy pics I take of my bikes! I have a large window that faces south (read north for those in the northern hemisphere) and that provides enough light for me to use along with one or two large sheets of white polystyrene used as reflectors. I use a tripod and a little Lumix camera I bought for documenting stuff like this. I don't actually have a tripod adaptor for the Lumix, I just hold it tightly to the tripod.

I can't remember the model number of the camera but it has a Japanese Leica zoom lens, shoots raw and is really quick and easy. I never use on camera flash. I can't stand on camera flash. Big soft indirect light sources and big reflectors are what makes it easy. I can't be bothered to haul out the lights so that's why I use the tripod, as shutter speeds are often around 1/2 to 1/6 of a second. I also have very steady hands!

I have resisted taking "proper" photos of the bike because I want to wait until it is finished. Plus it's my way of not thinking about work. Business has been slow this year which is not good, but this bike project has been a real lifesaver. My wife is particularly grateful for this bike project because I am difficult to live with when work gets slow otherwise! The whole project has been well timed really and completely by fluke.

I don't think I'm alone in needing a project. If I have nothing to do I go crazy. And fortunately there are a few guys locally who I have discovered thanks to bikes who want some pics of their bikes, so maybe I have discovered a new thing to occupy my time.

Anyway today's ride was sensational. Every day I tweak something a tiny bit and it gets better. Today I backed off the accelerator pump a couple of turns and the bike ran better than ever. Then I tried using 130 main jets but the bike didn't like those so I'm back to 127.5. I'm pretty much done on the tuning now.

Comment

Jimmy,

Knowing that your using reflectors is quite helpful. I turn wooden bowls and in my attempts to capture them in a picture has been difficult. Would any flat (non-glossy) white surface work?

cg
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
                                Thanks guys! Most of my pics are just available light in my garage. However my garage is also my studio - I am a professional photographer. So I am embarrassed by some of the crappy pics I take of my bikes! I have a large window that faces south (read north for those in the northern hemisphere) and that provides enough light for me to use along with one or two large sheets of white polystyrene used as reflectors. I use a tripod and a little Lumix camera I bought for documenting stuff like this. I don't actually have a tripod adaptor for the Lumix, I just hold it tightly to the tripod.

I can't remember the model number of the camera but it has a Japanese Leica zoom lens, shoots raw and is really quick and easy. I never use on camera flash. I can't stand on camera flash. Big soft indirect light sources and big reflectors are what makes it easy. I can't be bothered to haul out the lights so that's why I use the tripod, as shutter speeds are often around 1/2 to 1/6 of a second. I also have very steady hands!

I have resisted taking "proper" photos of the bike because I want to wait until it is finished. Plus it's my way of not thinking about work. Business has been slow this year which is not good, but this bike project has been a real lifesaver. My wife is particularly grateful for this bike project because I am difficult to live with when work gets slow otherwise! The whole project has been well timed really and completely by fluke.

I don't think I'm alone in needing a project. If I have nothing to do I go crazy. And fortunately there are a few guys locally who I have discovered thanks to bikes who want some pics of their bikes, so maybe I have discovered a new thing to occupy my time.

Anyway today's ride was sensational. Every day I tweak something a tiny bit and it gets better. Today I backed off the accelerator pump a couple of turns and the bike ran better than ever. Then I tried using 130 main jets but the bike didn't like those so I'm back to 127.5. I'm pretty much done on the tuning now.
                                Interesting stuff Jimmy! My "workshop" is a tiny area at the front of the garage with one flourescent light in an awkward place and two desk lamps.

My camera's old and my hands tend to get shakey when taking photos, so you should get a good idea of how difficult it is for me to get good shots

Hopefully bike photography is a new avenue for you and work picks up soon! Why don't you take some artistic shots of your GS when done and send them to some bike magazines etc. and see if there's any opportunity there for freelance work or whatever?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X