GS1150 ES Makeover Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
    That clanking at 2:24 sounds more like normal clankshaft clanking when the carbs aren't dialled in right. Honestly, a bag of spanners sounds more melodious than any roller-bearing crank if it's out of tune.
    From what I see, it's been a long time since the centre stand was on that (did it ever have one?) and it's quite possible that's a contributory factor - revving it up on the sidestand, at drunken off-base parties out in the boonies. Who knows what's been done to it...
    Interesting comment.... idling on the side stand not recommended?

Not that I am guilty of long time reving on the side stand but I often let a bike warm up on the side stand?
    Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500, :D
    The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED! http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/friday.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Arronduke View Post
      Interesting comment.... idling on the side stand not recommended?
      I've heard bad things.

I start her, and ride away gently 10 or 20 seconds later.

In the garage, I keep her with a brick under the stand (no center stand).
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I've heard stuff too. The idea being that the oil all falls to the left when the bike if on the side stand, leading to the right hand side being starved and getting fritzed completely. Not sure if it is all conjecture but it might have had something to do with my right hand side cam journals looking like this:

I think general oil starvation is more of a problem. Wringing the hell out of one of these motors at 9K with poor oil circulation is more likely to be the cause.

Greetings
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Took off my center stand after a few weeks of bike purchase.
          Enter the 2x4 and correct steering position to level out the bike.
          Of course that was after noticing the right cam caps getting warm before the left.

Noticed earlier in the thread you are missing the fuse box cover.
          Are you sure Suzuki outfitted the gs series of bikes with those to begin with
          Much like the filter housing cover

Comment

"New" Engine Install

So I'm getting the new engine put in now.

See my GS1150 ES Blog - Engine Install (hi-res pics there).

Then I got a couple of helpers to raise the motor a little and pulled the platform out and rested the motor back on a car jack so I could line up the bolts.

Greetings
            Richard
            sigpic
            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Cool blog. Reminds me of the time I switched a 327 for a 350 into my '68 Camaro single handed. Or switched engines on a VW Beetle mostly single handed.

My kind of guy. Keep it going.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I got quite good at swapping the 850 lumps in and out single-handed, but there was always a bit where a second pair of hands was invaluable. One of my friends simply laid his bike over and lifted the bike off the engine, leaving it on the floor - reversing that to install it.
                ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Grimly - I tried that once:

Richard
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, from what I saw of my mate doing it, it's considerably easier if you take all the bolts out before laying it down. He was quite accomplished at it, I must admit, and it's a technique I never got around to trying, but next time I'm doing one on my todd, I'll do it that way.
                    Even better, for a gearbox strip on a GS650G, was a top-down strip with the engine still in the frame - head, barrels, top engine case all come off and leave the gearbox internals exposed for replacement.
                    I have to take the '79 lump apart soon, so either of the above techniques will be in use.
                    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Here's a quick recap as to where I am with this project.

I bought this bike blind on eBay and it turned out that the motor was shot. At some stage it had had a clutch explosion and whilst all the broken parts had been replaced, there was still this little lot spinning around inside:

This had caused some major damage. At least one of the main bearings on the crank was shot and the camshafts and the saddles in which they sit in the head were shot. So the crank and the head were toast.

I found another motor in Holland and after doing a little investigation into it, I decided to install it and see what it was like. So far it is in the frame but I need to work on wiring it up and putting the carbs on to see how it fares.

In the meantime, I took the old engine apart completely, ditched the head and sent the crank shaft away to be fixed. I found a local guy (only 60 miles from me) who has been reconditioning cranks (and particularly GS1150 / GSX1100 cranks) for the last 30 years. This is his workshop:

This is the crankshaft balancing kit:

There are crankshafts all over the place:

So now I have the engine that is in the frame and another engine that I will rebuild. The rebuild one will be tip top, as it will have a brilliant crank (I think he will end up replacing all the bearings and rods and balancing it and welding it back up), I have 3 heads to choose from and 5 clutches. I will replace all the seals and the drive shaft bearings and even the other transmission bearings if there is the slightest doubt about them. I should end up with a great engine which I will then put into the frame and then work on the one that is in the frame.

So my winter projects will be to rebuild the old engine with the new crank, determine the condition of the new motor (by getting it fired up) and continue to restore my Dad's GS1100G (see my signature).

I think I should get the bed put in the garage first thing tomorrow.

Greetings
                      Last edited by londonboards; 11-26-2014, 07:22 PM.
                      Richard
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I'll be following along.

cg
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I love the old school "unsanitized" shop with parts, etc floating around....I could only imagine that there's some good stories there after 30 years. Richard, you are one busy fellow. I hope the 1150 project finally turns up some good luck. Sound like with the lengths you're going its an inevitably.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

dorkburger - yes thanks. I will get there in the end.

I wanted to ask the guy if he would spend a day with me and tell me some stories. I wanted to pick up every engine piece and ask it's history and how it came to be in his shop (and obviously some of them abandoned in his shop too). Really interesting guy (just like some of the guys on this Forum who could tell some great drag racing stories) - he also was into hydroplanes with 2 stroke engines. This was him in the 1980s:

This is some Busa crank work he has done:

and if you ever wanted to know how a crank was balanced. Here is a GT750 crank being done:

Greetings
                            Last edited by londonboards; 11-26-2014, 11:33 AM.
                            Richard
                            sigpic

Comment

Wow, I didn't know polished cranks where a thing.
                              Charles
                              --
                              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                                Wow, I didn't know polished cranks where a thing.
                                I believe the idea behind them is that a polished crank is less likely to hold onto oil film as it spins thereby minimizing parasitic losses. Considering that was a Busa crank and the power levels those crazy b*stards go for I can't imagine it'd amount to more than 1-2 hp but I guess in some circles that's everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X