No announcement yet.

82 1100G Restoration...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried running a tap in to clean up the threads?
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
      Have you tried running a tap in to clean up the threads?
      not yet, I'm afraid that I will tap the wrong size for the bolt that I need to use...

Comment

Motor is looking great!

Tapping it with the right size tap is the first move. Then if it's completely stripped you can go helicoil or timesert. Timesert is the most permanent fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
          Motor is looking great!

Tapping it with the right size tap is the first move. Then if it's completely stripped you can go helicoil or timesert. Timesert is the most permanent fix.
          thanks GT, I think I have a tap set somewhere that I can try tomorrow...not ultimately confident about tapping this part of the motor, sends shivers over me...

Comment

Take one of the bolts/studs and match up the thread pitch. By the way it's looking nice!

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
              Take one of the bolts/studs and match up the thread pitch. By the way it's looking nice!

cg
              Thanks charlie G

Comment

8 x 1.25 tap. Chased all of mine with the engine in the frame, that was entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by RedBaron View Post
                  8 x 1.25 tap. Chased all of mine with the engine in the frame, that was entertaining.
                  Thanks that helps a lot, I'll re tap tomorrow...sorry to hear you had to do that in frame!! That's tough...

Comment

yes, try some Mr. Grip stripped screw hole repair kit. I found it at my local ace hardware store. Supposed to work on wood, plastic and metal.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

So the tap worked well, the bolt is a little looser that it was but it threads ok...I was thinking of thread locking it, but that may cause more issues down the line. But thanks for the tips everyone...I will be taking images tomorrow of the motor, as she is all finished! Just ready to go in the frame....

Comment

Motor is all done, I sent the harness to my mechanic today to work on the electrics, so hopefully by the weekend I can get it all together...if not next week

Comment

That looks awful.

I kid! It's gorgeous. Great work!!!

Comment

Looking GOOD!!

Originally posted by Higgibaby View Post
                            I thought that maybe I was the only one that did silly things like polish the unseen "stuff".

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ya, that engine sure is awful.... Awfully good!!!
                              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Looks better than new!
                                That oil line adapter is beautiful.
                                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X