Clear All

Originally posted by Big T View Post
    Wait, that's 3 1100 Gs in the garage?

Paul will be getting jealous
    Hahah I'm not the jealous type!!....... till I see the finished product

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
      Hahah I'm not the jealous type!!....... till I see the finished product
      I meant 850 Combat, he's a serial G hoarder and he doesn't have many on the West Coast anymore
      Last edited by Big T; 12-17-2013, 02:12 AM.
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        I meant 850 Combat, he a serial G hoarder and he doesn't have many on the West Coast anymore
        That was the Paul I was thinking of, not to slight our Welsh friend. Combat Paul has more toys than I ever hope for. I'm envious.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Goodies and condition

included with the 83 were a complete set of Windjammer V saddle bags, top case, fairing with lowers and mounts.

I'm not interested in putting them on my bikes, but I'l hang on to them for the time being, unless someone (in Victoria,BC) wants them.

Gave it a quite "sponge "bath to better see condition of the paint job and it's pretty decent. It looks like it's been kept out of the sun with only a couple of small blisters on the tank clear coat.

It's got a 140mph speedo much to my surprise. I really don't need that. Wouldn't you know Johnny Drummond just put one in the mail for me. The tach lens is fogged over wit a rusty colored film and wonder if it is some sort of lubricant gone astray. I have another one on the 82 and if it works it, will fill my needs. I might try to pull the lens off and clean it up. I've heard it can be done with a bit of patience.

The PO told me that the final drive leaks and that the oil has a metallic color to it. I haven't looked at the manual yet to see if there are seal, bearing or what not that might solve this problem, but the 82 has one and it's pretty clean looking. Is there anyone who has experience working the final drives?

The 82 doesn't have this crossover pipe for the air in the forks. I plan on using progressive springs but does anyone have any input on how this might effect the use of new springs and no air? I just rebuilt the forks on the 82 and have a new set of Avon Roadriders mounted on rims waiting.

The PO states the cylinder # 4 has low compression, 90 lbs or so. I think it sat for a few years before he last worked on it and it's been since 2007 he did the last compression check.

The good news is I've some good looking parts to make at least one runner, if not two. Which one to focus on at the moment is the question. Whichever one I go with I need some carbs cleaned, so I need to start there. Advice and comments welcome. Thanks for tunning in.

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Things are looking great on the new bike Charlie, congrats! with the final drive there are some simple bearings and a few seals in there but if there's metal it might be from the spline. You'll see soon enough once you take it apart. I can't remember which, but one of the years had a bad habit of teeth wear. Cliff's got a good picture of it in his rear tire removal walk thru. For the front forks why not just get rid of the cross over? And I wouldn't be too worried about the low compression just yet. Do the valves and then check again, it could easily just be that. Oh ya...don't show up with all that Vetter gear....I'm tempted, of course I'm tempted..but just don't
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I received my decal set from Reproduction Decals.com and they look fine. They didn't carry ones for my 1982 GS 1100 g and I checked with them if they could make me a set to match my stock bodywork. I was told if I pay the shipping they would make the decal set for free. Which they did. They were very responsive to my e-mails and considering that I said "no rush", the Christmas holidays and such, timely. They now carry decal sets For Sale, for the 82 1100 g. I may not need my set so if any is in need, let me know. The new 83 1100 g has changed my priorities a bit.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Comment

Hey Charlie I'll take the Vetter and luggage if you don't want it.
                V
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post

I received my decal set from Reproduction Decals.com and they look fine. They didn't carry ones for my 1982 GS 1100 g and I checked with them if they could make me a set to match my stock bodywork. I was told if I pay the shipping they would make the decal set for free. Which they did. They were very responsive to my e-mails and considering that I said "no rush", the Christmas holidays and such, timely. They now carry decal sets For Sale, for the 82 1100 g. I may not need my set so if any is in need, let me know. The new 83 1100 g has changed my priorities a bit.

cg
                  they look nice, keep me in mind if you do want to sell them

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                    Hey Charlie I'll take the Vetter and luggage if you don't want it.
                    V

Really? Let's talk....

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Comment

On my 83 forks I believe I removed the pipe & plugged the holes with the correct size bolt & some thread sealer. You need to leave the collar on as the fork sliders have a hole drilled in them which will leak oil if the collar is not there.

The collars have O rings top & bottom.

I believe RapidRay has welded the holes on the sliders up as an alternative...
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Short but sweet.
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g

Comment

Beauty of a photo.
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                            Beauty of a photo.
                            That photo should be about 22 seconds on the 82 1100 g running for me for the first time! Let me know if it doesn't work.

cg
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g

Comment

Ah-ha! I clicked on it and there it was. Fantastic!
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Click for a little video of the running bike...... Let me know if it doesn't work.

I got the 83 1100 g I picked up in Sacramento this last winter running. It was running a bit rough but swapped out out the coils off the other 1100 and it's better. Still has a bit of a pop when I rev it and roll off the throttle quick. I'll sync the carbs and bleed the brakes and a quick road test to see where I'm at with the rest.

These are some front caliper axle bolts which are to be torqued to 20-40 ft lbs. I snapped two of them at 20 ft lbs. Do these things get brittle over time? Do I need to buy Suzuki's bolts or will what they have at ACE do? Axle grease,? Will auto caliper grease do fine? A bit of a newbie on some brake items. I could use a bit of advice here. Thanks.

cg
                                Last edited by Charlie G; 07-19-2014, 03:21 PM.
                                sigpic
                                83 GS1100g

Comment

Working...
                                X